Friday, June 3, 2022

Cycling and Nature (Part II)

Saw this Great Egret busy trying to catch some fish, and while doing so, she makes an attempt to stand on one leg as can be seen in the video
If you cycle around at a leisurely pace (especially around water bodies) you get to see some beautiful birds.
Advisory boards are put up and it is better to follow them for your own safety.
As I did not have a monopod or tripod, I kept the camera on my cycle seat and that helped me in creating a video without any shake.
Coming back to the Great Egret, I saw her making a jab into the water but was unlucky in catching the fish.
After reading about them I got some more information, like they fly slowly but powerfully with just two wing beats per second, attaining an average speed of 25 miles/hr.
They were hunted nearly to extinction for their plumes in the late nineteenth century, sparking conservation movements and some of the first laws to protect birds. A little further away I noticed a Great Blue heron.
These ducklings were faithfully following their mother. They looked and sounded like Canada Goose, but I am not sure about it.
There were other birds too and I am trying to identify them.
It was good to see that the tracks were being used by cycling enthusiasts (and some joggers too)
On the way back I saw this sight. I suppose they have the right of way, and drivers wait patiently for them to cross.
Today is World Bicycle Day and I hope more people will take up cycling.

21 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful photos. I see a lot of great herons here at the Rhine, but not seen a white egret yet. But we have plenty of Canada geese! Have a great weekend, Valerie

Haddock said...

Yes Valerie, and what caught my attention was the peculiar call by the Geese.

Anonymous said...

The Egret looked almost embarrassed after it missed the fish! - Dr Nandini

Tom said...

...Canada geese are taking over the world,we have lots of them here in New York State. Thanks for the visit.

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Haddock,
You are able to cycle in a beautiful natural environment!
Lovely photos.
Hugs from The Netherlands,
Mariette

Liz A. said...

Those look like Canadian geese. Nasty critters. They hiss and are just generally foul creatures. (I say this as someone who lives nearby to several, and we avoid them as much as possible.)

Haddock said...

Oh I didn't know about this part Liz. In fact their cackle is something totally different and I heard it for the first time.

Anonymous said...

Great 👍 enjoying cycling and capturing species. Have a great day ahead Joe

Anonymous said...

Joe you are really great. Very good write up and good pics supporting it. Wonderful - Sasirajan Iyer

Anvilcloud said...

Life is seen differently on a bike.

Ed said...

As always, I enjoyed your post and narration.

Anonymous said...

Dear Joe,
Thanks for sharing.
Nice photographs as usual.

Learned a new word "Heron"

Keep sharing
Thanks
R P Madiwale

Anonymous said...

Dear Joe,
Photos are so nice.
Regards,
Rajesh Bhandari

Anonymous said...

Mahavir

Mahavir said...

Dear Joe, very nice captured nature snaps.. great.. just I remembered similar views near by Sumant lake at TATA motors...👍👍

Haddock said...

Yes Mahavir, I remember those days in the mid 70s when we had a great time at the lake fishing and boating every Thursday (I think it is no more allowed now)

Anonymous said...

Lovely photos. Wishing you a very happy world environment day.

Nikhil said...

Just too good! Nature at it's very best... Thanks pa for sharing.

Anonymous said...

This is great research. Need more such knowledge. Good job. - Captain Keith

magiceye said...

Beautifully captured! Yes cycling and nature go hand in hand.

Jeanette said...

That is definitely a Canada Goose. We have a ton of them around here! Nice nature pictures!