Thursday, June 3, 2021

World Bicycle Day

June 3rd happens to be World Bicycle Day
Many all over the world can't freely participate in a rally or race due to the Covid19 restrictions that are still in place in some countries. 
The present bicycle has evolved after many trial and error methods during the course of time.
In the olden days the cycles had dynamos. The power generated by it was good enough for the head lamp to light up the road, but the flip side was that it reduced your speed due to the friction of the dynamo on the tyre.
Nowadays you get the strap on headlamp which is more powerful and can be recharged in an hour or so with a USB cable.
You can easily remove it from the handlebar by which the fear of theft can be eliminated.
On a day to day use it was more practical to transport things, like these workers transporting broom.
If you have the right cargo basket you can transport heavier and bigger items
Or a simple basket to transport bakery items.
Whoever thought of this idea of converting a clog into a carrier (pic by  Henk Overbeeke)
Many use the bicycle as a decorative piece for their shop.
Someone had some good design skills to come up with this design as a bike rack (pic by Brian Cairns
Or as an architectural piece to decorate their terrace.
The health benefits of cycling is something that cannot be ignored and this picture explains it well.
The best way to encourage children in cycling is to teach them at an early age.
Taking them for a joy ride is another way.
Safety should be the first priority when you try to transport more kids.
Some countries encourage cycling by providing cycles on hire from point A to point B. It is a win win situation for both the government and the citizens.
In some countries cycles are very popular but they also have the perennial problem of cycle parts getting stolen.
A couple of decades ago one needed a permit to drive a cycle on the roads which had to be renewed every year. In the late sixties that was abolished. The common sparrow taking a break.
Before you venture out make sure that all the nuts are properly tightened. Once I lost my side stand because I ignored the loose nut fastening it and the stand fell off somewhere along the way !!
Don't feel shy to show the age old hand signals. Who knows, it may save you from a broken limb. (Pic by Richard)
If you are venturing out alone, carry some ID. In case of any eventuality, they will know whom to contact.
A simple sketch for those who want to try it out.
Avoid showing antics on the road or sidewalk. It is risky for you as well as for the pedestrians.
The pom pom horn on the cycle has been replaced by the tring bell which is more effective.
Tandem cycling is another option and it is fun when there are two on a cycle. Reminds me of the song by Nat King Cole - Daisy Daisy, on a bicycle built for two.
Another picture of Tandem cycling where the photographer Mary Kay Nitchie has succesfully done a pan shot.
I have seen the bride's entry in different forms, like in a car, or a motorbike or in a buggy, but yet to see one come on a bicycle.
Or the bride and the groom taking off on a bicycle.(Pic by Sven)
If it is Christmas season then we can make it a little colourful.(Pic by Sean)
The happy happy stuffed toys and the sunlight makes this lively but the addition of the cycle gives it a sense of motion, as if to say "we are going places" (Pic by Albert)
It is nice to see a family pedaling down the road together. This was clicked in Central Park in May 2021 by Lardfr1
Romance is always in the air, be it in Black & White or in colour (Pic by Ian Spoard)
Allow your child to cavort on the cycle with his/her friends. They will have memories which will be cherished for a lifetime.(Pic by Rex Deveraturda
We all know how the simple cycle came to the rescue in India a few decades ago.
Finally I must say that if you have the will, then the mountain is the limit. .Photo credit Or maybe just cross the bridge and ride into the horizon (Pic by Yulia)
Photo credit Photo credit 2 Photo credit 3

43 comments:

Mary said...

Such a fantastic story of the bicycle - and the photos are really wonderful.
No longer a cyclist but memories of cycling through beautiful countryside, especially in England when a youngster, come often. How I miss those days of freedom......and much lighter traffic!
Thanks for this great post.
Mary -

Unknown said...

Wow, amazing journey with the cycle. Each picture portrays an emotion

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed the write up and photos. - Beena B.

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Haddock,
Yep, I'm dressed for getting on my bike so that is perfect for World Bicycle Day!
Hugs,
Mariette

Liz A. said...

As a kid, the bicycle meant freedom. Now, with streets and traffic, not so much.

DUTA said...

Clever presentation!
Sadly, I've never learnt to ride a bicycle (I have an adult tricycle, though).
I like the picture explaining the difference between the benefits of a bicycle and a car: runs on fat, runs on money, ha , ha. How true!

Anonymous said...

Dear Joe
Thanks for sharing the bottle dynamo an electrical generator creates DC using a commutator.
We call this cycle dynamo as the bottle generator first of its kind and very nascent stage, very interesting. I tried in my childhood to repair this. The cycle belongs to my uncle,
Thanks I hope all are fine.
More than the dynamo the diff cycles, drawings, excited me more.
regard
Murthy

Haddock said...

Thanks Murthy. Yes. Those were the days. I remember when I used my uncle's cycle in Kerala, it was the kerosene wick lamp. Later (when he stopped using it) I had even brought it to Pune as an antique. Somewhere along the way while shifting houses, I lost it.

माधव said...

Joe, a very nice write up which took me down the memory. The learning, freedom of movement in early sixties, then all those enjoyments (double / treble) seat rides, policemen catching and releasing the air from the tyre..... thanks Joe for those lovely photos and sketches.

vimala madon said...

Lovely nostalgic memories of learning to cycle, no one to help you get off when you want to so if you really want to stop you get into a rut and the Nike topples over. Then, driving so slowly chatting with friends .Cycling along with you that you don't watch the road in front of you and ram into an unsuspecting pedestrian. So many many more memories!

Premier Digital Mark said...

Very nice and Ausome article about bicycles

Margaret D said...

Thanks for visiting and commenting on my blog.
My there are certainly wonderful ways one can ride a bike.

Anonymous said...

Very nice
I remember my teenage with bicycle with head lamp - Dinesh Dani

Milind Bodas said...

Wow! What a grand collection and superb interlinking!

Anita said...

Very nice blog!Love those bicycles :)

Anvilcloud said...

This is pretty comprehensive and even delightful.

Jeanie said...

Love this post! I will need to tell Rick about it. I don't know if he knew but yesterday his blind cycling friend came up for the weekend and they will cycle tandem (Rick in front!). They did 39 miles yesterday and are hoping for 80 or 90 today. Similar to our temperature! These are terrific photos.

Jim and Sandie said...

Hey Joe, this is a great post. Pictures are incredible and it brought back such fun memories of younger years. We now have a trike but Jim does most of the riding at our place. On our journey a couple of days ago, we passed a blind cyclist with her two companions and follow car. That is truly an amazing feat.

KParthasarathi said...

Very nice post on bicycle day with wonderful pictures. When I was a small boy not tall enough to sit on the seat and had no cycle of my own, I used to wait for visitors like postmen, delivery boys from pharmacy,,meter reading officials and such and monkey pedal their cycles in the lawn at the front side.It requires an unusual position to ride but a safe one.A picture of monkey pedaling would be a worthy addition to the collection of pictures!

Haddock said...

Glad that it took you back to your childhood Parthasarthy. Unfortunately I don’t have a picture of monkey pedaling to add.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Great article. Well done. I remember having a dynamo on a bike when I was a kid, but since speed was never important to me the friction on the tyre didn't cause me any grief. And I could see where I was going in the dark! Probably more importantly people could see me!

Unknown said...

I never knew it required a licence to drive a bicycle some days!

Anonymous said...

Well curated piece on the Joy of Bicycle riding. Such a useful tool to maintain a pollution free environment. Thank you for the pictures and brief descriptive notes. Well done - Jude Vaz

Anonymous said...

Dear Joe,
How are you? Hope you are doing fine
Appreciate your consistent blogs.. they are really nice
Thank you for sharing
Best Regards,
Manoj Arkadi

Caitlin'nMegan said...

Happy cycling! Such a fun post! Thanks so much for visiting my blog!

ellie said...

Such a wonderful post..but I am afraid it's too muggy here to enjoy a good ride today.

Anonymous said...

Great blog on bicycles!
The saying goes - you can never forget bicycling, all you have to do is get back on it!
I was the first girl to bicycle to my church - it was a dare by my uncle- in my village in Kerala! I was teased, booed and heard some choice unwanted comments!
Thank God I was not well versed in Malayalam then.
My Mummy was mortified, but my Daddy was giddy and bursting with pride!
Today at age 66, I would not even dare to get on to a bicycle, for fear of falling and breaking bones! At least I have some wonderful memories!! Thanks Joe!! - AnnMary (NY)

Bill said...

Great post on cycling, lots of info and fun reading.
Thanks for visiting and commenting on my blog.

Noorain Inamdar said...

Oodles of Pure joy on reading this blog.. great fun post !!

Bob Bushell said...

NICE BYCICLES.

CAntony said...

Another wonderfully fun and well written article! The pictures are so full of life and so many perspectives.

DeniseinVA said...

An enjoyable and very interesting read. I liked the photos of the various bicycles to illustrate your narrative. A lot of fun, thank you :)

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed every bit of it. Thanks Brother. - Vinod D'Souza

Mano said...

Hi Joe sir, the complete presentation about the bicycle �� is so wonderful, it brought back my favorite memories of childhood when I used to pay Rs 5 to a cycle shop near to our house and hire a cycle for one hour.Atleast thrice in a week cycling around our area used to be my past time, Now may be after 25 years again I'm cycling its fun and I feel I'm much much younger, Thanks for this post.miss my childhood days ��

Anonymous said...

What an amazing piece of information about cycles. Never had so much in depth knowledge about it. Thank you once again - Sreeparna

Marie said...

Beautiful collection of bike photos. I like the little bird on the bike...makes me smile.
Thanks for stopping by my blog. I have thought about getting back to blogging. It's been a very hectic few years for my family. I do hope you and your family are doing well.
Keep smiling,
Marie

Pradeep Nair said...

I went to college in Kerala for five years on a bicycle. Cycling is good exercise as well. But Bengaluru's traffic makes cycling difficult.

Jayashree (pagesfromjayashree) said...

We have hire and ride bikes here parked at specific points.... it's a very enjoyable exercise

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Love your post and all of the photos and the story of the bike. There is nothing more wonderful that to ride a bike on a country road!

Gerry Popplestone said...

It’s a fantastic collection of interesting images with comments!

ashok said...

wow amazing compilation...u didnt even miss the kalam isro one :)

Haddock said...

True Ashok, I just wanted to see how many Indians will recognise it.

The Padre said...

What An Amazing Journey Through The Eyes Of The Cycling World - The Progression Was Well Captured - A Beautiful Story Through Photos - Very Creative Post - Well Done

Cheers