Monday, May 24, 2021

feel of the vegetables

During the pandemic lockdown, what I missed the most was the forays into the vegetable market. 
Not only is it a welcome sight to "feel" the vegetables, you are sure you are picking up the real fresh ones. You don't get the same reassurance when ordering online. The above picture was clicked at the famous Mandai market in Pune when I had been there during my last visit. We bought some mangoes and kept ourselves busy by making mango pickles. Here is one batch ready to be bottled. 
Last week the yield from our kitchen garden was only two drumsticks, some tomatoes and lots of red chillies, so we bought some more drumsticks from the market and made sambhar out of it. Drumstick is one of those rare plant species whose seeds, flowers, leaves, and stems are edible and extremely nutritious. Moringa commonly referred to as drumstick is treated as a 'super plant' for its unique yet powerful properties that combat different ailments in our system.
Talking of the kitchen garden, the Aloe Vera is growing wild and we have been steadily trimming it down. (in other words throwing it away)
I know it is supposed to be medicinal and used for beauty treatments, but I don't have the faintest idea how it is to be consumed. At times I rub the fleshy part of the cut pieces on the elbows and I did notice that the black spots on the elbow have reduced. Another thing that we grow in our kitchen garden is wheat grass. 
Wheat Grass juice is good for health. It increases the Hb level in the blood and can be taken on a daily basis. The procedure to take the juice is simple. Sow some wheat in a shallow pot (approx 1 square feet) On the seventh day cut the grass and squeeze out the juice which can be consumed immediately. You must have noticed a different type of watermark on the above pictures.It is because of a site known as Dreamstime, where I upload some of my pictures.     It is a picture stock site where potential customers go through your pictures and if they like it they buy it. For example the wheat grass picture has been sold nine times, so I would say it is a win win situation.

23 comments:

Jim and Sandie said...

I have no idea what the drumstick is. But your mango pickles look really good. It is wonderful that things are opening up again.

Haddock said...

Hi Jim and Sandie, Drumstick is one of those rare plant species whose seeds, flowers, leaves, and stems are edible and extremely nutritious. Moringa commonly referred to as drumstick is treated as a 'super plant' for its unique yet powerful properties that combat different ailments in our system.
I am going to add this in the blog.

Ed said...

Here on this side of the globe, we are still putting in our gardens for the summer. We've only harvested some salad type greens which thrive in our cool spring weather. But it will be a few weeks before we start getting other veggies to harvest and then that will last until around late October.

I have never heard of anyone consuming Aloe Vera. We have only used it for wound care.

DUTA said...

Your post has reminded me that I have somewhere a bottle of Moringa Oleifera capsules. Yes, Moringa is considered a super plant with many health benefits as it's packed with vitamins, minerals and anti-oxidants. I didn't know it's called Drumstick.

Augustine Xavier said...

Great post

Henny Penny said...

What a beautiful vegetable market! Your mango pickles look really good. I love pickles, but never had mango pickles.

Bijoux said...

I am not familiar with mango pickles or drumsticks (besides the chicken and ice cream ones).

Liz A. said...

Aloe Vera is great for sunburns. (Something I'm prone to.) Just rub it on the sunburned skin.

Anonymous said...

You are making our mouths water. Will have to make a curry tomorrow. - Howard Hill

ROSY said...

Aloe Vera gel is scooped out and you can add mint leaves to it. Beat it up in your mixie . Add salt or honey for taste. It’s such a good antioxidant.
You can even put the gel on your face. It clears up the skin

Anonymous said...

All the 3 plants are very good medicinal plants. Moringa is used in Hypertension, paralysis weight loss, Diabetes etc. It is indeed a Super food.
Aloe Vera is useful for beauty treatments, hair growth, constipation, and even for improving metabolism.
Wheat grass is useful in skin complaints, even in improving digestive disorders and as a skin toner.
It is good that you are growing all this in your own garden. - Bella James

Jeanie said...

I know exactly what you mean about the vegetable market. I miss that, too. Here in Michigan we're looking forward to strawberry season (next month) and cherry season (July). Right now our garden is yielding spinach, lettuce and radishes and soon the garlic and peas will be ready. The aloe plant is nice -- good for wounds.

Anvilcloud said...

You seem to be doing alright and staying safe. Let's all get through this.

Anonymous said...

Loved reading this article.
Miss your beautiful home and garden.
Miss being in Pune
Linda Sequeira

Elderberry-Rob said...

you have some very healthy plants in your garden, with medicinal values and which Westerners would love to grow/eat but which are imported so costly, (however, aloe vera is sold here as a decorative pot plant not a food) When we stayed in Kerala we had delicious fresh fruit and vegetable shots every morning and were inspired to get a blender so we could do so at home, carrot and ginger is my favourite :)

Milind Bodas said...

Missing all that pleasure. Only old Green memories. :-(

Anonymous said...

Felt like we were transported to your beautiful home at Pune... a home full of life and a garden full of happiness, peace and joy ...- Maj Harmit Grewal

Selvin said...

So refreshing to read this blog, thanks Joe 👍🏼

Pure Reputation said...

Wow those veggies are so fresh, my fave is moringa!

Theresa Mahoney said...

I just started my summer garden. I do like to grow herbs year round. We also shop the local farmers market to pick out fresh produce that we didn't grow ourselves in our garden. I have never heard of drumsticks before.

Haddock said...

@Theresa, Drumstick is more commonly known as Muringa

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I am not sure whether I have had mango pickles, but I can't imagine I wouldn't enjoy them. Fresh mangoes are wonderful and mango chutney is a staple in our house!

Poppy said...

What fresh abubdance of food at the Pune market! I, too, miss the farmers' markets here on the island, always so full of nutritional produce.

Your mango pickles look so appetizing and the drumstick plant, which I've never heard of, is intriguing. I am aware of the many medicinal benefits of aloe vera, but so far have only used it in an ointment.

Congrats on selling your photos! I've researched a few sites but will need to devote more time to understanding how they work and choosing one to upload mine.

Have a great day and happy gardening!