Sunday, June 14, 2020

Nisarga and Pune

Looks like cyclone Nisarga spared Mumbai but Pune did get some powerful wind by which some 60 trees fell in the city. It even uprooted our Kappa (tapioca) which was planted in a grow bag. 




The usual yield of Kappa is better than this but I salvaged all that I could get from the uprooted plants. 


Wifey made the traditional dish with it, and it went well with the fish curry. 


With all that rain lashing around, I was happy to see the drumstick flowers holding on well. 

Talking of grow bags, I just tossed some watermelon seeds (and a mango seed) in one of the spare grow bags in our garden. I was happy to see that they took root within no time. 


Won't it be a good idea if we planted all the seeds that we discard from our kitchen? If there are no pots at home, just toss them where there is some mud, maybe on the road side when you go for your drive.
Within three weeks tiny watermelons have appeared and very soon I will have to give them some support when the weight increases 


As for the mango tree, I don't see much future for it in the grow bag. But let us see how far it will grow.  The  mango season is coming to an end and it is the right time to make some Uppumanga (mango in brine) 


On a lean day, (if the lockdown is reimposed) this will go well with the rice. 


29 comments:

Unknown said...

Great initiative, Joe!

Elderberry-Rob said...

How interesting, I have never seen mango in brine, does it become savoury? for cooking in curry - I guess so. On holiday in Kerala I think I ate some in curry. I think it's amazing that it grows in a gro-bag. I threw some old potatos that had eyes in a gro back and now have a small crop growing, also chill seeds from the fridge which are now growing well :)

Anvilcloud said...

That must have been quite a storm.

Liz A. said...

If you've got the room, might as well plant the seeds.

Vallypee said...

Great idea to plant those seeds. You might even be helping others too. I hope lockdown isn't imposed again, Haddock, but growing your own food will inevitably help. Your photos look great!

Elderberry-Rob said...

p.s. just wanted to add that I am sorry your part of the world has suffered such extreme weather conditions on top of the cv19 concerns, the power of nature is frightening.

Anonymous said...

It's really very nice to read your blogs ...... Watermelons :-) - Betsy Denzil

Milind Bodas said...

Interesting!

Milind Bodas said...

Interesting!

Jeanie said...

I'm glad you were able to salvage a great deal and while no one wants a cycline, it could have been worse. Sounds very scary to me and I'm glad you are all right.

Lorraine said...

Sorry to hear about the storm damage. I wish we could grow fruit trees in our yard. The climate is suitable for hardy varieties, but the deer are voracious. I have a little braided lemon tree I started from seed that has wintered in the house. Doubt that it'll fruit.

R's Rue said...

Beautiful

A Cuban In London said...

Wow, fish curry. Love it. :-)

Greetings from London.

Anonymous said...

I like this post. Any of your gardening related posts is fun to read. Is the drumstick tree outside or in your terrace itself? - Sindhu George

Haddock said...

@Sindhu George - the drumstick tree is in our terrace in a grow bag. This is the third time it has flowered in the last one year. Earlier it had given us 5 good drumsticks.

Anonymous said...

Very nice Joe.
I like special Kerala preparations of Kappa roots, with Mincurry.
Stay at home, stay safe.
Best regards.
Sushil

Unknown said...

Joe chacha, I have land but no vegetables. I am craving kappa and meen curry now.

Haddock said...

Ha ha.... you can try growing. I have seen kappa being grown in the kitchen garden in the US.

Anonymous said...

Wow... nice blog Joe uncle. The organic tapioca looks great - Kristo Tom.

gigi-hawaii said...

Good idea to just toss seeds onto the mud and see what happens.

Shilpa said...

Kappa got my heart . Nice post .

Pradeep Nair said...

That Kappa dish looks so tempting!

YouTube Traffic kostenlos für alle Branchen said...

Delicious !!
https://digistore24.com/product/170525/simonv

Lisabella Russo said...

I'm sorry that the storm took down some of your plants. How amazing that you are growing so many food producing plants! I do not have a green thumb...

RO said...

Thank goodness everyone was safe. That sure looks like it was scary. Never had fish curry, but it's one of the things I've been wanting to try because I need to do something different with fish. Thanks for the tips and sending some hugs, RO

Anonymous said...

Impressive! However, I can't eat curry or peppers or chillies, make me ill, I'm afraid. I am growing my own this year, too. We now have a cold frame which is working well, though it needs as much attention in the rain as in the hot sun I have discovered.

Jaishvats (Jayashree) said...

Having fruits and vegetables from one's own garden is so blissful...and I love Tapioca ... Any form ... Boiled or as chips

Theresa Mahoney said...

It's not very warm here, so our growing season is very short. I do scrap garden with my tomato seeds though. What a storm to uproot so many trees in your area!

Tanza Erlambang said...

I love tapioca...fried ones....yummy