Monday, May 25, 2020

Manga Chutney

I saw this Ammachi on YouTube making Mango Chammandi on the grinding stone and I couldn't help salivating. 



To our bad luck, the mango tree outside our bedroom window did not yield any mangoes this year (except for two mangoes) 


It could be due to the unseasonal rains. Talk about wrong timing, that went hand in hand with the lockdown.


To pluck the mango, I borrowed an idea from a DIY video I saw on FB about the different uses of plastic bottles.   


We did the grinding in a mixer as Ammachi's grinding stone was something that is not seen in many households now a days. 


For my part, I did the grating of the coconut (apart from plucking the mango) 


The final product looks yummy and we are waiting for lunch time to feast on the chammandi. 


The second mango is earmarked for next week.


18 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks nice!

Anonymous said...

Looks amazing. Can we have the recipe for both the Swedish cake and mango chutney please. If you can believe it, my daughter has this grinding stone..... that was used in her wedding !! - Buvana Sharma

George said...

You had to use some ingenuity to get and grind the mango, but it looks as if it was well worth the effort. I hope you enjoy the second mango as well.

PipeTobacco said...

This looks delicious!!!

PipeTobacco

Liz A. said...

Heartbreak about the mangoes. It so sucks when the weather conspires to hurt the growing season.

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen a traditional coconut grater in a long long time. - Martina

Jeanie said...

I've never heard of this before. It looks just delicious!

Pradeep Nair said...

Yes, it's the seasons of mangoes! So unfortunate that the tree didn't yield any but two.
That manga chammandi looks absolutely delicious!

Perviz Dara Bhote said...

How about sharing the recipe please.

Anonymous said...

I used to love this. Mom would make using the stone. Have not eaten since looong - Theresa Mathews

PipeTobacco said...

Even though it is bottled and bought at the store.... we have some amazing Mango Chutney that we use in a moong bean and sweet potato dish. Wonderful!!!

PipeTobacco

CAntony said...

*drool*

Mathew said...

Manga chammathy...hmm.yummy yummy..

A Cuban In London said...

Oh, wow. That looks nice. Thanks.

Greetings from London.

PipeTobacco said...

I do hope you write again soon. I enjoy your writing.

PipeTobacco

Shilpa said...

This is yumm

Theresa Mahoney said...

Our harsh winter stunted the growth of my fruit plants too. I didn't get any cherries on my tree this year :( Glad you were still able to walk away with 2 mangoes though!

Delhi Films - Best Wedding Photography Company in Delhi said...

Hire best wedding photographer in Preet Vihar, Delhi to Capture Your Special Moments. Delhi Films provides all types of photography services at affordable prices in Preet Vihar. You will surely fall in love with our wedding photography.