Saturday, December 31, 2016

Kochi and Biennale Part 1

I was fortunate enough to be in Kochi during the Kochi-Muziris Biennale as I could attend it, or rather a part of it.
I spend some time at the Aspinwall House and I must say that a whole day is not enough to take in the creative work displayed there.

As I entered I saw this volunteer explaining the details of a mural to the visitors.   

  
The mural named  12 stories was huge, (11 meters x 3 meters) the work of P K Sadanandan.  


I had a chat with Sadanandan. He said that it took him more than a month to sketch out the outline of the complete drawing. Later he and his team started giving the colours. Here you can see one of them adding the colours. The distinctive difference between the coloured and the non coloured part can be seen.   



By the way it is painted with only natural colours (laterite, stone, organic pigment etc) 



Sadanandan has dedicated his life to revive and restore mural paintings in all its forms and has evolved a style that combines Kerala teachings and practices with those from across India.  His images feature icons and narratives inspired by mythology, encased within the natural elements and organic world.

12 Stories (of the 12 progeny) depicts the story of Parayi Petta Panthiru Kulam, of the twelve kulams (families) born to the Parayi, or woman of the ‘paraiah’ caste. It depicts many lessons from the value of listening, to the importance of fate, to the inequality of the caste system, to the continued role of the family and the society.
Here you can see him guiding one of his assistants. 


I wish I had more time in hand to visit the other locations.  I was told that there were exhibits at other places like David Hall, Pepper House, Durbar Hall, Cochin club, Cabral Hall and Kottapuram Fort, to name a few. Had a peep into Cabral Yard where some kids were drawing on the stage. 



I liked the stands there, created by the logs of the beetle nut tree. More on it in part II 


24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like that last picture of the tourist taking a nap on the logs.

Chris Lally said...

What a treat! Great post, Haddock!
And, thank you. I will help myself to some happiness. Absolutely wishing you an abundance of it in 2017!

Anonymous said...

That is amazing!!! What wonderful talent.- Gail Williams

Augustine Xavier said...

Dear Joe, I like the part of the making & use of natural colours in the paintings. I as a childhood artist was always looking for natural colours in various elements and materials available around.Thanks for sharing this story. Best wishes for the new year 2017.

Linda said...

This is a great post, Haddock, and I enjoyed all the photos. Thank you so much for sharing and Happy New Year!

juliefordoliver.blogspot.com said...

What a great post. I was intrigued by the organic pigments used. I use pigments for egg tempera and find the natural ones are much more beautiful than the synthetics. I admire Sadanandan for his dedication and talent.
I would really like to see these storytelling murals.

Bijoux said...

Murals are very intriguing works of art.

Christine said...

what a fantastic work of art!

greekwitch said...

That was beautiful!!

s.c said...

Looked at your blog and it gives indeed a good report of the daily doings in India. Very nice to see.

Locomente said...

Thanks for sharing these pics... I have heard a lot about Binale through friends... Hope you had good time there!

Nancy Chan said...

Such a talented artist! I like the stand too. Looks comfortable to sit and relax. Have a good day! I am following you now and invite you to follow me. Thank you.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

It's always wonderful to have the opportunity to view great art, but it takes it to a whole new dimension if you are able to converse with the artist and get an insight into how he created the work.

Rhodesia said...

Thanks for your visit and I love this mural, definitely a work of art. Diane

PerthDailyPhoto said...

That's an amazing endeavour Haddock, and so worthwhile, an important community artwork, super to see the artist as he paints. Here's wishing you all the best for 2017 🎉🎊🎇

Anonymous said...

We have so many gifted artists in our country, unfortunately they are not appreciated, blogs like these are much needed to make known these unknown superstars - Theresa Mathews

Margaret D said...

Beautiful art on the mural, always admire them.

D.Nambiar said...

I've heard so much about this show, that I have to see the works, some time. Isn't it getting bigger and better with each edition?

Thank you for these sights from Kochi.

padmaja said...

An incredible art form , the beauty is beyond words. I have always been a fan of his works. That is a missed bus for me, Kerala murals.

Anonymous said...

What an experience in color and life using natural colors. Thanks for sharing the details and pictures Joe.
Happy New Year - Rohit DSouza

Anonymous said...

Wish you a Happy Pen- ing Year !!!! :)
Loved this article, the organic pigments were interesting and it looked complete like a kitchen :)
The betel nut tree stands looked cool... seem like bamboo from far...

Its a pleasure for us, to receive your mails with interesting stories, so it is surely a Happy Reading year for us :)

Cheers,
Maithilee

Maniparna said...

I wish to visit the Kochi-Muziris Biennale at least once. So much creativity at one place!

Lowcarb team member said...

So good to see this creativity.
I particularly like the one of him 'guiding one of his assistants' lovely to see.

All the best Jan

Red Rose Alley said...

I have always thought it was such a talent to paint or draw. I really love murals, especially when they exude goodness.

~Sheri