Friday, June 27, 2014

A good place to stop

On the way to the south (Bangalore Mysore road) there is this Kamat hotel which is a good place to stop for food. (Kamat Lokaruchi)
We halted for breakfast on the way to the Nilgiris. The best part is the open ambiance.  




As you enter, you get to see this aesthetically decorated place near the cash counter



We ordered Idli and  wada. The Idli over here is known as Mudde Idli.


It is steamed in banana leaf and the taste is quite different than a normal Idli.
   

The sweet dish too was not very sweet but at the same time tasty.  


I had a look at their open kitchen where the idli and the dosas were made.



One thing I observed about the place was that it was “manned” by gents and ladies.


In fact more ladies than gents



On the way back to Bangalore we stopped at the same place for lunch.  The assorted vegetable spread was a real treat to the eyes.  


What they serve first is a type of puran poli with ghee.  


When you are done with it, you get your rotis with butter (raggi roti) 


This is followed by rice. You can have as many helpings as you want. The butter milk is something that you should not miss.
Children too will like this place, as there is enough open space for them to unwind   


I found this in a prominent place, probably the founder.  



On the whole, a good place to halt and fill up. 

30 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love those decorative hangings of banana and onion - Charles

Beth said...

Those are great pictures. The food looks very good too!

Sandhya said...

I was happy to see the pictures of 'kadubu', that is what we Mangaloreans call the 'mudde idli'! A lota shape is made out of the cactus leaf and the batter poured into it. Then it is inserted inside the idli vessel and steamed. The flavour of the idli blends with the flavour of the leaf and a unique 'kadubu' is made.

The pooran poali is called 'hoalige'. Outer layer is maida. Bangal gram is half cooked and ground with jaggery and this is the pooran for the hoalige. This pooran is kept inside the ball made out of maida and rolled. Cooked on a tava. Ghee or sugar and milk is poured on the holige while eating.

Hmmm....you have taken me to Mangalore now, thank you!

Joanne Noragon said...

It's a pleasure to look at the food with you, and look it up for understanding and know it would be good to actually taste.

Christine said...

what a lovely outing!

Megha @ Meinblogland... said...

I love that place. The Hubli-Dharwad speciality "jolada rotti" is really good!

padmaja said...

Have to try it out next time, sounds great!

Nana Prah said...

A wonderful place to eat. You've made my mouth water with that food.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Those one things look like fried doughnuts or something :)

Joy said...

Very nice to see the place and the foods they served there:)

hamaarethoughts.com said...

million dollar pics.. loved every bit of it..n look at those traditional serving platter.
truly divine!

Barbara said...

Interesting to see the different culture, especially the various vegetables on the leaf. Thanks for visiting and commenting.

Lisabella Russo said...

What a wonderful place! I love how the food is presented on the leaf, just lovely!

Cynthia said...

I like the artfully arranged hanging onions, bananas and coconuts. It was fun to learn about foods I've never heard of before. It looks as if you had a good time and a wonderful meal.

Beate said...

All the food looks absolutely delicious. It makes me want to try it now :)

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Ohmigosh, now the mouth is watering... thank you for visiting MY PLACE, but what I didn't mention there is that I am also desperately missing India; especially such dhaba as this!!! Now I need to go make some idli sambar... YAM xx

Henny Penny said...

Oh, I would love to try the food. A beautiful place. I am sure I will never get to visit places like that. Thanking you for visiting my blog.

magiceye said...

An excellent pit stop indeed!!

thecrazysheeplady said...

Beautiful displays and I would love to sample everything!

Haddock said...

Thanks for that detailed explanation Sandhya. My sister had told me those names, but by the time I started writing about it, I forgot the names.

Anita Sabat said...

So lovely that you shared this :)
Even we stopped there while visiting Mysore.
loved the awesome Dosa, Idli & Coffee. Took pics too and have been planning a post for long! :)
Great images!

Bikram said...

its always nice toknow some good places, i have only been once from bagalore to mysore .. maybe next time i will stop

Bikram

camp and cottage living said...

Delicious looking food and beautiful ambience!

Hilary said...

Everything looks so colourful and yummy.

Smita said...

The food looks soooo tempting....and getting such a good outlet on highway is a boon!!!

Victoria said...

Wonderful post...beautiful !

Draffin Bears said...

Looks like a fun place to stop and eat and the food looks good.

Enjoy the weekend

Chirasree Banerjee said...

Yes, yes, yes....I have been to this place back in 2009. Oh I revisited it again through your eyes. I hadn't have that special type of Idli when I visited.I would love to taste that though.

Augustine Xavier said...

A delicious post from the one & only Joe'so kitchen.

Anonymous said...

I read this blog just before lunch - so with "drool " in my mouth I am rushing to eat something!!!!! - - Aiman