Sunday, March 8, 2020

Bird Watching

It is a good feeling when you are able to identify the birds around you. 
Had been for a bird walk this morning at Empress Garden (Pune) conducted by the Rupa Rahul Bajaj Centre for Environment and Art.  
The Indian Paradise Flycatcher was very elusive and I managed to get one shot of her long tail. 


Spotted many Grey Hornbills and what I observed was that they are always in pairs or in three.  


It was easy to spot the Ashy Drongo with his fork tail and most of my pictures turned out to be silhouettes. 



The white breasted waterhen is around waterbodies and is very shy, so had to take a video shot from far. 


The Black Kite was there in all her majesty and it was fun to watch the crow having a flying duel with the Kite.


The team gets excited when they spot and identify a particular bird. 


Kedar sharing some knowledge about the birds.



I have strung up the pictures and videos to make it into a small video.
Thanks to the bird walk, I now know that this is the purple sunbird who visits my terrace garden daily morning.


Hope to do more bird walks and spot more birds.  


22 comments:

Lorraine said...

Sounds like a very enjoyable walk. It's amazing at all the different kinds of birds there are and certainly fun to know what you're looking at and hearing.

Mathew said...

Nature walk is always very inspiring...Thank you for sharing Joe. Glad you had a great time.

joeh said...

I love bird watching, but ours are not nearly as interesting as yours.

Bijoux said...

I love it when I spot a new bird in my area, but it doesn't happen too often. You have some lovely birds. Our most impressive is the Pileated Woodpecker.

Liz A. said...

It's great to see so many variety of birds.

Anonymous said...

Nice. I have seen a Paradise flycatcher only once in Pune and that too in Salunkhe Vihar. It is really satisfying to be able to spot and identify the birds - Nandini Ramachandran

Anonymous said...

Very interesting - Anand Rao

Anonymous said...

Some of these like the Hornbill, Ashy Drongo (I did not know its name) fly catchers, common parrots are seen around here too - Satish Deshpande

Anonymous said...

Superb Joe.
Lovely video too - Socorro Vaz

g.k. murthy said...

Hi joe . great hilarious moments with nature. its really fun to mingle with nature thought have gone for birds of sorts but sometime unknown creatures can be spotted. In one of my camp in karnala in Alibag five yrs back we spotted a small creature which crawls but flies upto 3-4 ft when frightened. yet they have to name that.photo was missing fm my end sorry. Great keep it up

h chugh said...

Nice Joe! Seeing this i feel i am illiterate as far as bird spotting is concerned. Give me a buzz next time you go, will join you! Thanks for the blog!

Anvilcloud said...

Nice job with the video, including the soundtrack.

Anonymous said...

For the variety of birds spotted, the walk would have been interesting. I see a little girl in the group feeling left out. So you have a purple sunbird visiting your garden - Cdr Sunny Varghese

Mary Kirkland said...

I don't see a huge variety of birds around where I live but I love seeing all the birds by you.

Anonymous said...

Lovely video and pictures - Martina Joseph

Anonymous said...

Wow.... lovely, didn't know Empress Garden had so many beautiful birds - Nooreen

Elephant's Child said...

I am a big, big fan of birds so this was a very enjoyable post. Many thanks.

Jeanie said...

You see such different birds from the ones I see. They're quite beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Nice photographs and video. Thanks for sharing Joe - Sanjay Chandane

Baiba said...

I wish I had the patience for bird watching. But the pictures look beautiful! So many different kinds of birds.

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe
Thanks, love the variety, beautiful.
Hope all is well with you - Carol Hayden

Anonymous said...

Very very nice I missed it
I came to know only after it came in the Times of India
Next year please co ordinate - Sasi Iyer