Friday, June 29, 2018

The Segway


One more item ticked off from my bucket list. Have seen people simply gliding around and I always thought “I have to do this one day” 
Well, got the opportunity to do it a few days ago when we were in Chicago. 


They do give training for about fifteen to twenty minutes before you venture out on to the public road. The training is initially one to one where one gets to know the controls and then there is the practice session within closed doors. 




The Segway came into picture about 17 years ago, but unfortunately it did not take off as a public transport utility vehicle (or even as a personal transport vehicle to be used on the public roads)
It works on a pair of 2 horsepower brushless DC powered electric motor and the acceleration is done simply by leaning forward on the handlebar. 
The surprising part is that this can be driven by anyone, even those who have not had the experience of riding a bicycle.
We got to see the complete Navy Pier of Chicago with the help of the Segway. 


Your confidence gets a boost when you realise that you can easily manoeuvre inbetween motorised vehicles and bicycles.   


There were halts in-between for photoshoots having the Chicago skyline as the backdrop.  



Some came well prepared with body fitted go-pro cameras. 


Made a small video on the complete experience.    




10 comments:

DUTA said...

I've seen the Segway, but never tried it. These vehicles are a Hit with the tourists staying at the Tel Aviv beach hotels, as the track is usually the long Promenade going from T.A. to Jaffa and back.
I love the rhyrmical music in your little video.

Peter Kouwenhoven said...

Looks like fun! Still on my bucket list.

Anonymous said...

I can't remember why, but they were made illegal here on public roads and footpaths. They do look like fun and perhaps not as hard to ride as I imagined.

Chris Lally said...

Oh, I think you were very brave to run around Chicago on one of those contraptions, though I've always secretly wanted to give one a spin(but not in Chicago). Great video, too. It's obvious you enjoyed yourselves!!

Shoyeb Ahmed said...

Good video. You should have bought one in India. Its battery operated. I think there is a separate track for it in Chicago. Great like it.

Anvilcloud said...

I can see that they'd be a good way for tourists to get around ans see the sights.

Unknown said...

I've seen them but thought they were for others. Your blog makes me want to add this to my not- so-long bucket list.

RO said...

Wow! I've always wanted to try one of these because it just seems like a really cool way to get from point A to point B, but I suspect it could take them longer than 15 minutes to teach me. (lol) These pics so fun! Hugs...RO

Connie said...

I always thought these looked like they would be fun to ride, but I've never been brave enough to try it. Looks like you enjoyed it. Hope you had a nice visit to Chicago.

Bijoux said...

I've always thought it looked a bit scary, but after mastering an electric bike, I may now have the confidence to give it a try.