Thursday, June 29, 2023

Shout Section Big Band

After a long time I got to hear the song "A Tisket - A Tasket" It was sung by Megan Rault with the Shout Section Big Band doing perfect justice to the music. The original song was by Ella Fitzgerald.
The director of the Band, Brett Dean was always present in the front giving directions as and when required.
At times he chipped in and that is when you can see him at the back giving that extra boost to the tempo.
I could not get the names of all the musicians, but I could see that each one contributed in a special way.
I was particularly impressed by Mike Benning on the double Bass. I mean continuously plucking on those thick strings must be pretty tough on those fingers.
Then there was Diego Rodriguez on the drums who did not miss a beat.

The rendition of Ba Ba Black sheep was done well by Kirby Fellis 
Jon Rarick had his own style and there was an extra gusto when he put on his hat.
You could see a few in the audience picking up a few steps but I was expecting more dancers considering the enticing jitterbug music that was being played.
One of the regulars I see at the Town square is Ken Czech who manages to capture some of the musicians in action.
Made a video on the song "The yellow basket" by Megan Rault.
The second video is a mix of all that they played in the evening. (in no particular order)
I am sure Jazz lovers would love it.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lively and lovely
Thanks for sharing Joe
- Sheila Naidu

Leigh said...

I love outdoor community music concerts!

DUTA said...

Great open-air performance! Very impressive Band instruments!
I liked the dancing elderly couple from the audience (first video).
The drawing artist does a good job capturing the performers in action.
Thanks for sharing.

Haddock said...

@Sheila - Thanks Sheila for the appreciation.

@Leigh - Right and it gives more space for interaction.

@DUTA - Like I mentioned I was expecting more to come forward to shake a leg. The band instruments were great and what a variety.

Parag Pendharkar said...

Ken Czech and i are connected on fb as figure artists. He is a great artist! Nice blog Joe.

Liz A. said...

This is definitely the time of year for outdoor concerts. It takes me back to my school days when I played in bands.

Martha Jane Orlando said...

It's been a long time since I enjoyed an outdoor concert, Haddock. This was fun!

Elephant's Child said...

What fun - and beautifully photographed too. Thank you.

Haddock said...

@Parag: - Thanks for that. Was not aware that you and Ken were connected on FB

@Liz - That must have been fun, playing the band, especially in school.


@Martha - At this location we get to witness different concerts in every summer.


@Elephants child - It was a fun event. Photographing and capturing on video was a big question mark for me due to low light. (the rains were threatening)

e said...

Looks and sounds lovely.

betty said...

Easy listening :) looks like a great event.

Mihaela Toilă said...

I love Ella Fitzgerald and jazz music, and Megan sang amazingly with the orchestra.

Veronica Lee said...

How fun and lively!

I enjoyed seeing the photos.

stella said...

Velada comunitaria encantadora, concierto a recordar
Buenas fotos y videos, gracias

J. S. Vila said...

To realizate this músical concert is a very good idea. Is good to promove this kind of ideas for to increase the músic culture in people. I hope they Will do more.

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Looks like a good time was had, I never use to like jazz but as I have aged I don't mind it.

Anonymous said...

Nice to watch the steps of the dance.Strange that the organ weighs 2000 pounds.
(George )