Monday, July 10, 2023

Lake Michigan

Happened to be at St Joseph beach during the eve of July 4th and saw some of the tourists getting ready to witness the fireworks.
The Amtrak runs very close to the beach and I did not know that there was a station at St Joseph.
Love lighthouses and some of the stories behind them.
At this location there were two lighthouses close to each other and the second one is equally good.
Sometimes the angle of the light makes a lot of difference. I like the silhouette better even though the man fishing from the boat is the same in both the pictures above and below.
I showed the above picture to the guy in the boat and he laughed saying "but there is no fish in the picture"
Talking of fish, we did see one guy actually catch a big one. Looks like a Drum.
These lighthouses have been here for more than a century. The Michigan Lake is so vast that at times you feel that you are looking out into the ocean. Most of the time the waters are calm and you may see a lone paddler moving about
While we were there we did not miss a chance to get some cups of Caramel from Kilwins.
A small video clip captured at Kilwins got converted to an insta reel.
I love that 1964 song by Chuck Berry attached to the Instagram.
About an hour's drive up north from this place is a Dutch village where you get to see and learn about Dutch culture.
Among other things that we saw was a shoe (Klompen) making factory and a Dutch dance display.
The Dutch dance display was entertaining as well as informative. The Gouden Engel (organ) that played in the background was made in Belgium and later transported to the Netherlands. The fact that it weighed more than 2000 pounds makes it one of the heaviest street organs in the Netherlands.
All those who danced were students from the nearby university. There were some funny moments while they danced, like one of the boy's shoes went flying and was later retrieved from the canal.
Maybe he didn't wear enough socks (they wore anything between 5 to10 pairs of socks)
Later they invited the audience to join the dance which was an opportunity to learn a few steps.
While watching the video I had my doubts. Did he deliberately fling the shoe?

29 comments:

DUTA said...

You're great at capturing snippets of life, Haddock! I'm impressed by the vast Lake of Michigan, the lighthouses, the guy fishing from the boat, the Dutch dance...
Youm make it all look and sound quite an adventure.

Liz A. said...

What a cute little town.

roentare said...

What a place to stroll for the whole day. The costumes are exquisite

Anonymous said...

Beautiful

Ed said...

I have taken a car ferry across Lake Michigan at one of its narrower points and it is still vast in my view.

Red Rose Alley said...

The little Dutch village is charming. It would be nice to visit. That's a pretty big fish that the man caught. The lake is beautiful. Enjoy the Summer days.

~Sheri

**Jess and her husband have a couple baby names that they liked, but haven't been able to pick just the right one. She thought it was a good idea to do a post and see if my blog friends had any names she liked. But when the time comes, they will have a dear name for the baby. : )

Jeanie said...

Looks like you're in my part of the world -- lovely Michigan. Heading north? I'm there now! The Dutch Village looks fun. I should take the grands there in another year or two.

Lowcarb team member said...

I like seeing lighthouses ...
The Dutch Village looks a good place.

All the best Jan

Penelope Notes said...

This looks like great fun … those wooden shoes can't be that easy to dance in and, if they fly off, who knows where they will end up!

DeniseinVA said...

I enjoyed all your photos, lovely scenes!

Anonymous said...

All of it very aesthetically captured : the lake, the boats, the lighthouses and above all, the Dutch shoe dance! - Jude Winston Vaz

Lux G. said...

I read a book series set in Michigan, and Lake Michigan has been mentioned. Thanks for giving me a good visual. :) It is lovely and seren.

Shiju Sugunan said...

I enjoyed reading your trip report and viewing the pictures. Pic 1 and 4 are particularly appealing to me.

Martha said...

Looks like fun! Lighthouses are always nice to photograph.

Anonymous said...

Joe.. Thanks for bringing it up again my nostalgic memories of my stay at Detroit and visit to Lake Michigan in Y2K!!
I must appreciate your 'vision' of looking around the things in our day in day out life. I look forward to your such 'informative' blogs!! - Upendra Kulkarni

baili said...

Big thanks for such an awesome virtual tour my friend!
Thoroughly enjoyed the each bit of it.
What a delightful lake and how amazingly captured by you wow!
That fish is Big indeed.
Loved the dutch dance .So many socks must be for purpose.
Heartfelt thank you for kind visit and words to my place. It is really nice to hear from you!
Blessings

Martha Jane Orlando said...

It can't be easy dancing in those wooden shoes, Haddock, let alone walking in them. Such an educational post!

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Wonderful photos, I liked them

Gardens at Waters East said...

Nice to visit your blog today. I too like seeing lighthouses. In fact, I can see three different lighthouse from my hone. Each in a different town here on the western shore of Lake Michigan. Something inside that feels good about lighthouse in my mind. Thanks for your. posting.

Tomichan Matheikal said...

Lovely place.

roughterrain crane said...

The seaside looks comfortable.

Anonymous said...

Loved the pictures and the video clipping- Beena Belliappa

David M. Gascoigne, said...

By any other name the Great Lakes are inland seas.

Roland D. Yeomans said...

DUTA is right: you have a way of seizing life's moments. Your photos make me homesick for my childhood in Detroit. Never can go back to childhood though ... except through memories. Thanks for taking me back that way. :-)

Anonymous said...

Enlightening.

Anonymous said...

As usual, Superb !!! - J. Khandewale

foodtravelandwine said...

What a beautiful post!!...I love this Summer activities...I'm glad you enjoyed it!!....Abrazotes, Marcela

Miradas desde mi lente said...

Me encanta el mar y cuando puedo, me gusta viajar a un lugar donde haya mar. precioso los faros y muy interesantes las actividades que has mostrado.

gz said...

Nice to meet you (virtually!)
That's more a houselight than a lighthouse!!