Sunday, June 23, 2024

Bus ride in Kerala

After a long time I travelled by bus in Kerala. The first leg was from Airport to Alleppey (Alappuzha) bus stand, and the second leg was from Alleppey to Changanasserry. The total cost came to Rs 157/-
I captured some pictures and videos from the bus. I could do this only after sunrise as I had started my journey at 4 am. The conductor and the driver got replaced at Ernakulam (as this was a long distance bus which proceeded to Trivandrum after dropping us at Alleppey.)
At Alleppey bus stand I had tea, a repeat exercise for me after nearly 55 years ! The method of making the tea is the same (as can be seen in the video) and the flavour is surprisingly the same. The cost of the tea was just Rs10
Boarded the Changanassery bus from there, with the assumption that it would take me through the same route that I had taken 55 years ago, but there were some changes. When I saw the bus entering Kallu palam (stone bridge) I assumed it would take a right turn and head for Irumbu palam (Iron bridge)
But it went straight ahead towards Kottara palam which was flattened out. Earlier this Kottara palam was built very high so that the Travancore King's boat could pass under it. Now there is no Palace and no King, so I presume that bridge was not required.
Coming back to kallu palam, this area was a trading centre about a century ago. Once a week, goods (mostly vegetables and pulses) were displayed on the broad steps next to the bridge and trading took place there. It was more of a barter system in those days. Here is a photo of the Kallu palam clicked by the Government photographer Zacharias D'Cruz. This was clicked way back in 1900
As the bus avoided the city, it reached Kaithavana within no time and I had to quickly click a picture of the church. I found that the church has expanded sideways.
The kodimaram (flag post) is prominent in the middle. This type of kodimaram is usually found in front of churches and temples all over Kerala. The bus took a turn at Kaithavana mukku (junction) and I found that the junction was pretty clean.
Heading straight towards the east, we reached Pallathuruthi. From the bridge we could see all the houseboats parked nearby. This is the starting and ending point of the Alleppey Houseboats.
About 40 years ago if one had to travel from Alleppey to Changanasseri, one had to cross three ferries namely Pallathuruthi, Nedumdy and Kidangara. With the construction of the bridges, movement became faster.
On either side we could see the paddy fields but now they are slushy with residual rain water.
All said and done, it was a comfortable (and cost effective) journey for me, but I found that all the bus stands that I crossed were in very bad shape and needed a complete makeover.
For example I saw a makeshift shelter made by some concerned people at the Changanassery stand.
Hope the present transport minister Mr Ganesh Kumar makes a note of this.
After a week I made my return journey by the same Kerala SRTC Low Floor airconditioned bus.
That is another change I noticed. KSRTC is now known as Kerala SRTC.

31 comments:

Nikhil said...

Wonderfully expressed papa. This made me feel like I also took the trip to Changanaserri 🙂. Great trip down memory lane, that will be cherished forever! Great Video too 🔥

Rita said...

All so very different for me in USA to see. Thanks for the video, too.
The long houseboats made me think of the narrowboats in Europe.
Looks like it was a good trip. :)

Bill said...

Excellent video and photos. Hope you had a great time.

Cloudia said...

This is wonderful. Thank you for sharing. We lived on a boat for 20 years here in Waikiki. That is a good price for tea! Aloha

Elephant's Child said...

Thank you so much for taking us with you. I do hope your transport Minister is listening...

DUTA said...

Interesting bus trip! I like the rhytmical music accompanying the video.

magiceye said...

A nostalgic bus ride!

Jagdish K said...

It seems fairy land 😲

Tomichan Matheikal said...

It's ages since I travelled by bus. Some nostalgic memories here.

trees said...

An evocative post. Brings back memories that were rather hazy with time, and have now sharpened.

Anonymous said...

I spent a major part of my growing up years in Alleppey, as my mom is from there...... still go there every year.

Loved the article and pictures. - Beena

Anonymous said...

Joe.....Well done....It's great..
I am also using KSRTC for Alleppey trip nd enjoying old memories..that makes me more energetic...With love nd regards....

Anonymous said...

Amazing... ❤️👍🏻

Margaret D said...

Enjoyed travelling with you. Love that bridge and the water so calm in the video. Never seen tea made like that!
The photos are lovely as is the video.

g.k. murthy said...

What a narrations and when reading through lines and the pictures we too feel as if travelling with Joeji.
Earlier 10 years back every year i used to go through alleppy for my sabari darshan. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

WONDERFUL JOE
BEAUTIFUL .... I ALSO FOUND MY VILLAGE AS IT IS EXCEPT ROADS ARE WIDENED AND VILLAGERS SITTING ON THE ROAD SIDE UNDER THE NEEM TREE WITH BIDI AND CHIT CHATTING.
SASI IYER

Jeanie said...

Thanks for taking us on your journey. It looks like quite a ride and I'm glad it was quite comfortable (apart from the bus stops!)

Pradeep Nair said...

Fifty-five years is indeed a long time. I am sure it must have been quite a memorable journey. What I have felt about Kerala is that nothing much changes with time. Even if it does, it's minimal, not the type of transformation one sees in cities like Bengaluru.
Kerala's tea is surely unique. A visit is not complete without a glass of tea and "pazham pori".
Also, I find the bells in Kerala buses very unique — the way the string is drawn from the rear of the bus to the front and the way the bell is rung. I haven't found anything similar in any other part of the country.

Mary said...

Really enjoyed 'traveling' with you to Kerala. I was there (and Cochin) several years back. Many interesting memories and enjoyed that part of India very much.
Loved the chai tea service.
Mary -

Liz A. said...

So many things change over the years. I hope you got out of the journey what you were hoping to.

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe..
Nice to see spot reviews on your visit after 55 yrs.. Enjoyed watching your bus ride video.
I was tempted to taste the piping hot tea preparation.. I will remember this for my next visit to Kerala which I visited once..
Thanks to Subbu (PA to BK Ghosh) who organised my entire trip to Kerala in 2008.

UGK

Anonymous said...

❤️

Anonymous said...

Great narrative and done in such a way that it made me feel as though I did the trip with you! Great job! You really weaved an excellent experience! - Leela

Anonymous said...

Thanks Joe for the ride !
I have never been to Kerala, but your narration is so wonderful that I found myself to be at Alleppey !
Keep on travelling, photographing ! - Sanjay Chandane

Phani said...

You took the Kerala SRTC to reach Changananserry,but as a reader of your blog I could take a free flight of fancy,hovering invisibly around your words and absorbing all the graphic visuals embedded in them.

Perviz Dara Bhote said...

Thank you Joe for taking us on a ride in kerala. Unfortunately, haven't travelled in this state. It is still quite untouched with the haphazard development we see in other states. Nature seems to be less touched in Kerala.

Anonymous said...

That's a nice coverage. Brings back memories of my visit to Alleppey and the boat ride to Kollam - Madhav

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Joe,
That was a nice journey back into South India.
Familiar sights.
Hugs,
Mariette

Mathew said...

As usual, you have done a great job Joe. One thing that hasn't changed for so many years is the way they making Chay at the Chaya kada in Kerala.

Anonymous said...

Nice to hear from you Joe
Well documented blog

With Regards
Partho Roy

Anonymous said...

Excellent description, Joe.Thank you very much for bringing back to my mind my memories about Alleppy. Wonderful video
George Joseph