Monday, March 23, 2020

Observations during isolation

When you are confined in the house, just looking out of the balcony can bring you interesting sights. What caught my attention was a pair of rose ringed parakeets trying their best to make their young one fly. 




They tried using different tactics including coaxing it with some extra feed. 



I saw one more family member joining in for some extra moral support. Finally all of them manage to push the young one off the edge of the bough. (you can see it in the video)

The booming sound came from my right side and it was the Bharadwaj (Greater Coucal or Crow Pheasant) who was responsible for it. He was hidden behind the leaves but I could see his body moving with the "coop coop coop" sound. 


The common Crow was all intrigued by the size of Bharadwaj. 


The female cuckoo sat on the next tree, probably on the lookout for a suitable nest where she can lay her eggs. 


There was a Black Kite perched high up stoically looking at all that was going on 


Meanwhile romance was up in the air (literally) where courting was in progress while balancing on a wire 




The Sunbird and his friends like to visit our garden as soon as I finish watering the plants 




They literally cavort on the leaves getting themselves all wet and then shake themselves dry. It is a daily routine I like to watch.
The Ashy Drongo was another regular in our area. This one saw me pointing my camera at her and she decided to take off 


This is a bee eater I suppose and is very quick in her moments 




I think this cartoon by Bath sums up the present situation.


 The Black Kite finally decided to call it a day and leave his perch. He must have been wondering about the change in the atmosphere with no honking and finding the air quality a shade better. 



25 comments:

Christine said...

Lovely wildlife outside your house.

Bijoux said...

You have the best birds!

joeh said...

Those birds providing lots of entertainment. The Kite would make me nervous if I was one of the other birds.

Making the baby fly reminded me of getting my kids to ride a bike.

Anonymous said...

Just one storey from the ground is enough to see lots of bird life and you certainly have a huge variety of birds around.

Liz A. said...

Wow, you've got a great vantage point for lots of bird viewing. Glad they could keep you entertained.

Lorraine said...

I love bird watching. Thank you for sharing yours. They are so colorful.

Anonymous said...

Too good Joe - Ramesh Bajpai

Anonymous said...

Very nice to see so many birds in your backyard. Sunbirds look like they would enjoy a bird bath. A large shallow bowl filled with water would suffice. Parakeets in action was sweet. Akin to watching National Geographic - Leena Thomas

Anonymous said...

That's a lot of birds - interesting - Anand Rao

Aditya Titus said...

So many varieties of birds outside your house!

Mary Kirkland said...

Gosh, the birds are so pretty. I love the. The only birds I see around here are the pigeons and sparrows.

Anonymous said...

Lovely blog Joe, as always. Looks like Heaven Palace is in deep woods !! - Rajendra Porwal.

Unknown said...

I strongly think and believe that birds too know the right photo/viedio grapher.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful. Nicely captured video - Pravin Dhande

Anonymous said...

A hidden talent unleashes a new hobby. Viva La Corona - Minoo Madon

Jeanie said...

What beautiful photos! Oh, those parakeets especially make me smile. This is clearly a good place to be in these challenging days.

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed the blog spot. Lovely birds. Yes there are a lot of birds in my yard too - Priscilla Babu

KParthasarathi said...

When you are curious, you see interesting things.
Your time in isolation is not wasted but well spent and what a bewildering variety of birds in varying moods you have caught.
A feat to the eyes indeed. Thank you.

KParthasarathi said...

feast*

Anonymous said...

Home in the Heaven ...... and your wonderful fancy !!!! - Gayatri Gore

baili said...


wow your observation transformed my day dear friend :)))

thank you for incredible sharing and beautiful video
I ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT!

Anonymous said...

Loved reading - Deepu and Priya

Anonymous said...

Very nice video and information - Swati Godbole

Geetanjali said...

You have made such keen observations..enjoyed reading your account. I too have a variety of birds in my backyard and I've started to track them. Also exploring eBird and will soon make entries therein. Happy birding!!

Penelope Potty Snooper said...

Quite the birdwatcher ! I’ve seen lots of birds too these days.