Tuesday, August 6, 2024

Life around the paddy field

I observed that the birds around the paddy fields have their own set routine of feeding and perching.  Maybe that is why this heron decided "come rain, come sunshine, I will not budge from my perching point"
One of the birds had its nest on this Ithi tree (Ficus Microcarpa) and I found the roots of this tree almost covered the tree trunk.
Was staying near a paddy field for a week where the greenery and the natural sound in that area was very soothing.
I was trying to capture the spider web and a bird made a guest appearance.
The place where we stayed was Vempilly Ayurveda Medical Hospital.
The overall impression I got was that the staff (at all levels) were passionate about their work and there was a personal touch to everything that they did. Also noticed that most of them multitasked, like the guy who did the daily massage for me, also doubled up to deliver the morning 6 am kattan kapi. (coffee without milk)
They grow most of the vegetables in the premises, so when it reaches your table, you can be sure that it is organic.
The food is vegetarian but there is variety in what you eat.
The sowing and reaping of the two acre paddy field is mechanised and very cost effective according to Dr Mathews.
Milk production is also in house and they have a dedicated guy, Mr Murukan from Tenkasi, who looks after the stable.
I could not capture the other treatment in action but in this video you can see the herbal medicine being applied on a person who had plantar fasciitis.
I liked this simple idea of using incense to keep away insects and leave a wonderful aroma.
After a long time I saw a "touch me not" in action.

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very evocative writing.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your experience, especially the daily life and the natural beauty around, through your beautiful pictures.

Haddock said...

Thanks for your comments. Those who write as Anonymous, it would be good if you can write your name at the end.

Granny Sue said...

So interesting. The incense is a great idea. What a very beautiful place.

Ed said...

Although not a vegetarian, I am happily one when the garden is producing and fresh vegetables are plentiful.

Anonymous said...

Excellent !

DUTA said...

How very interesting! I'm a great believer in Ayurveda which originated and is practiced in India .( I'm not vegetarian, but most of my food is). I've greatly enjoyed your pictures.

Giorgio said...

I was interested in your post, as there were some Information I didn't know.
I also like the picture of the spider net.

Giorgio said...

Post script: interesting way to keep away insects.

rodzinatestuje said...

Amazing picture! Thanks for sharings :)

roentare said...

Love the cooking pics in the post. The scenery is great too

Anonymous said...

Wonderful. I have never been to Kerala, but your blog introduced me. Hope to tour it in the near future. Fantastic - Atul T.

Anonymous said...

बेस्ट

Ananka said...

Super photos :-D

magiceye said...

Beautiful captures.

Rita said...

Very interesting. Looks like such a peaceful place to be for healing. :)

Lata Menon said...

Beautiful pictures and video and a lovely place, Joe.

Liz A. said...

Looks like an interesting location.

Veronica Lee said...

Your stay near the paddy fields sounds delightful!
The heron’s perch, the organic food, and the staff’s dedication at Vempilly Ayurveda Medical Hospital all come through beautifully.

Thanks for sharing your serene experience!

Anonymous said...

Very informative. Excellent photos as usual
George Joseph

trees said...

An informative post on the practice of Ayurveda but, along with it, the lush greenery and sights of Kerala have been captured wonderfully too.

sujata sengupta said...

Lovely pictures and writeup. Very serene surroundings. I have been away from the blog space for a while now. Hoping to be here long-term from now on. Catching up on old bloggers.

Sumandebray said...

Enjoyed the post....they rightly say that picture is worth a thousand words

Shoyeb Ahmed said...

Lush greenery and lovely pics and we all enjoyed the post.

Al Penwasser said...

The pictures are wonderful! You can keep the food, though. I'm getting me a cheeseburger.

Betty said...

The food looked delicious. We use incense as an insect repellant, it would be fun to be able to make our own concoctions! Thank you for sharing your trip.