Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Diamond crossing

Always wanted to see the diamond crossing in India, so I made it a point to visit it during my first visit to Nagpur.
It is said that this is the only double crossing in Asia. Another landmark is the zero mile stone of India which is at the heart of the city. The pillar was erected in 1907 and is made of sandstone.
One of the Metro stations is also named Zero Mile.
Talking of Metro, I took a joy ride in the Metro to the Airport and back, and found the occupancy pretty appreciable in spite of it being a Sunday. This metro also goes over the viaduct  which is Asia's longest multilayer viaduct.
From Nagpur we drove down to Tadoba. The drive itself was enjoyable, especially the rustic countryside. One has to make way for bullock carts and cattle crossing the path but a little patience makes it a win-win situation.
It is good to see children going to school, either by foot or on bicycle.
We halted at a place known as "Tathastu" and I liked the service and ambiance of the place. Their restaurant was named Foodpecker and the bar was named "Bottleneck"
There was a crooner by the name of Ahatesham who entertained us with his guitar.
I made a separate video on him. 
Most of the visitors go to Tadoba with the intention of sighting a Tiger.  We were lucky to see many wild animals and birds.This tall Nilgai was intrigued by our presence.
The black buck looked majestic.
The blending of the Owl with the bark of the tree was perfect.
The darter had a way to dry his wings as can be seen in the video.
The open bill stork looked pretty in the tall grass
The bamboo trees had flowered well and the guide said that next year there is going to be a dense bamboo jungle. He said the last flowering happened 45 years ago.
The video will give you a better picture especially of the leopard walking across to join its mate in the shade.   

19 comments:

trees said...

Seems like a laidback place, typical of second tier Indian cities, but so much to see...for those who are observant.

Terra said...

How good you saw the wildlife and shared photos with us.

Anonymous said...

Great, Joe! Quality of video is fantastic. keep it up. - Deepak Purandare

Nadezda said...

Interesting post.
Thank you for stopping by my blog.
Nadezda

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Foodpecker looks terrific, but I am guessing that others don’t think so. Apart from your group the tables are empty. The musician is a nice touch.

Anonymous said...

Nice one Joe.
There is one more diamond crossing in Bhusawal station yard.
It is the biggest railway yard in the country. You can see it from the train. Only Mumbai Nagpur train passes from that cross. On other line goods train and other crosses coming from Khandwa.
But the information about deep mark is a surprise for me ...
Thanks - Madanlal Sharma

Anonymous said...

Such a lovely read. I was warmed to see the bullock cart and kids walk, bike to school. Golden moments ✨️

DUTA said...

Children are always a joyful sight! So is the sight of the guitar player.
As usual, your photos of the birds and animals encountered, are very attractive!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Joe. Didn't know Nagpur has so much to offer. All the pics are a treasure. Keep up the good work.

Ed said...

I'm guessing the safety controls for a double crossing railroad are quite complex.

Sara - Villa Emilia said...

Very beautiful, very interesting. The children on their way to school were my favourites as well.

Liz A. said...

Lots of sights to be seen. So many animals, too. Nice.

Martha Jane Orlando said...

Such amazing adventures you've had in India, Joe! Thanks so much for sharing them with us.
Blessings!

Anonymous said...

A nice visit -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

Rita said...

Wow! What a wonderful trip!
Thanks for stopping by my little blog where I go no place--lol! I hope you come back. I will be back to visit you. :)

Raj Sharma said...

Nice write up, Joe. The video completes the picture of your trip. A must visit for Buvana and me. Good to see Marie enjoying the old Hindi songs. Thanks for showcasing the crooner guitarist!

Sharad Kulkarni said...

Very educative blog!
I liked the Bullock cart click very much!
It brought back my childhood memories when I used to spend my vacation at my aunt's Village..

DeniseinVA said...

Wonderful photos and all delightful scenes. I also enjoyed your descriptions. Thank you very much for sharing.

Elderberry-Rob said...

Thanks for sharing and making these videos. The ghost tree I have never heard of and Bamboo flowering - not seen that! I would love to travel around India on trains! Betty