Wednesday, September 6, 2023

Go away

Saw quite a few birds in the last few days in Botswana, but the most amusing one was the Grey Go away bird. It is pretty big and not shy of humans but his amusing call is what catches the attention. (don't miss the moon)
The bird is named for its alarm call "Kuh-we" which sounds like "go-away" and is thought to alarm other species of approaching predators or other dangers such as hunters. You can hear the call at the start of the video.
I found these mouse birds eating (or rather destroying) the flowers of the Moringa tree (drumstick) Their activity was more of destructive nature as they were not eating them but just plucking it and spitting it
The sunbirds too come in flocks looking for the Moringa flowers
This Little Bee eater was sitting pretty, well protected by those thorny branches and pretty flowers
Talking of thorns, I was standing under a thorny tree when I saw this masked weaver bird flying in and out with green leaves busy weaving his nest. I got some bottom view of his activity where he was modelling his entrance door and spitting out the excess leaves.
While I was shooting the weaver, the Groundscrapper Thrush was eyeing me with some concern from the sidewalk.
The Crowned Plover got himself well camouflaged in the dry grass. His movements too were such that he used to stand still for a long time.
Towards the end of the video I managed to get a long shot of two Red-billed Buffalo Weavers up in the tree
These blue birds were pretty. I am assuming it is the blue waxbill finch
The next morning I was off again hoping to catch some early birds. I started off with the sunrise
Considering the array and variety of birds in Africa, there is a possibility of part 2 for this blog.

19 comments:

Ed said...

Birds are not something I know a lot about or have paid much attention too. I think most of that stems from not being close enough to them. If I had your camera/lens setup, I think I would know a lot more about them.

DUTA said...

As always, your pictures and video capture our full attention. I am enchanted by the Go Away bird and the moon, by the bird weaving its nest, the sunrise, the pretty blue birds, the birds looking for the Moringa flowers. What a beautiful variety of birds to be seen in Botswana! Thanks for sharing.

Ente brother Sonny said...

Awesome!!! Admire your patience....... 👍😊

Martha Jane Orlando said...

I do love birds, and it was great to see so many varieties here. Great photos!

Anonymous said...

Very interesting Joe, especially as I myself saw them all. what about those angry looking sparrow-like birds hopping about the garden? They look so ready to poke you with their sharp beaks at the slightest provocation (but they don't).- Vimala Madon

Haddock said...

@Vimala Madon, The angry bird (scaly feathered finch) that you mentioned is there in the video at 4:00

Bill said...

A very nice variety of beautiful birds. The sunrise photo is absolutely beautiful. I like the video and listening to the bird. Thanks so much for sharing and have a wonderful day.

Lowcarb team member said...

Such a lovely variety of birds, they are lovely.

All the best Jan

roentare said...

Fabulous bird captures

Lata Menon said...

I love birds!
Beautiful pictures and video.
Have fun!!

Anonymous said...

Excellent capture of birds' activities.

Liz A. said...

That's quite the collection. It's fun to see what birds are about.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures and writing!

DeniseinVA said...

Great photos and videos of these fascinating birds.

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Never heard of these birds but they look nice and sound amazing never heard a bird sound like that before, thank you for sharing this information.

Anonymous said...

Awesome. Very keen observation.
George Joseph

Jeanie said...

Lovely photos, all! And all new to me as well. I love what our blog world introduces us to!

Ana Mínguez Corella said...

Very nice pictures...Regards

Anonymous said...

Joe, wonderful pictures and very well written blog!