Saturday, June 26, 2021

A habit like reading

For those who like to read, it turns out to be a habit that sticks on. For many, the morning newspaper is a must. A way to keep yourself connected with the outside world. This is a picture clicked in Dhobi Khanna (Cochin) by Adrian Whittle a few years ago.
The rising sun gives enough light for these flower market workers to read the regional newspaper. This was shot in 2007 by Akshathkumar Shetty at the City Market in Bangalore, India.
The story can be the same in any part of the world, like for instance like inside an Osteria (Tavern) in Italy. (Photo credit Giulio)
Sometimes it could be just a novel, like this horse cart driver in Salzburg catching up on his reading while waiting for his next customer. Maybe he is taking night classes and is going through his text book. (Photo credit Bill Smith)
Sometimes you don't want the story to be interrupted and are willing to continue reading in the tight confines of a Metro in Washington DC (Pic credit:Dale Scherfling)
Libraries are a totally different world for book lovers.You can just sit and browse through a vast variety of books (provided you have the time) (Pic credit: bawtrees)
I like the design of this public library in Seattle. Nothing like allowing the natural light to come in. (Photo credit:Doc SaintX)
A book in hand is always good while travelling, especially when it is long distance. You will never feel "distressed" (Pic Credit: Siakou
Like this village scene. Kids enjoying by the riverside. The common factor? Reading. This is somewhere in Ayodhya (India) (photo credit: Eli)
Here is an interesting picture and this is what the photographer Ameer Hamza has to say: Wife cooked excellent tikka with some gravy, imli ki chutney which was just well made, additional support was provided by hari chutney, piyaz, mirch and kheera. Beautiful. My kids also enjoy this dish so I decided to have my Guria hold this wonderful book. I could not find a better way to photograph the entire spectrum including home made parathas with my early favourite book by master Islamic scholar, A J Arberry. This book must be considered as a classic among studies of Islamic Civilization, a vast, difficult, fascinating subject. So vast and so intricate that few Muslims would know or be able to accurately describe the term 'Islamic Civilization'. Example: A Christian translator working for a Muslim Abbasid King on a Greek manuscript to be translated and annotated in Arabic should be considered as 'Islamic' ? Questions like these are played well. In Pakistan Suhail Academy is at the forefront in publishing such wonderful books. This edition is 2001 printed in Lahore.
I never knew about this bookstall "Shakespeare and Company" till I saw the photograph. What the photographer Craobh Nua has to say :This is quite possibly the most famous bookshop in the world. It was responsible for giving "Ulysses", by James Joyce, its first print run - some were autographed, and these are now reckoned to be the most expensive books of the 20th Century. It was also closed down during the Second World War, when the owner refused to sell a book - Finnegan's Wake, according to legend - to a Nazi Officer. The books are pretty much all in English, and if you buy one you can get it stamped.
I added this photograph for the wonderful picture that it is. A good example of a candid picture and the contrast is very sharp. This was clicked at the Abbey of St Pierre in France. (Photo credit: Dprezat)
"Immersed in the book" so to say but not a very safe place to sit and read from the safety point of view. (Photo Credit Francesco Mariano)
This is a photograph of a painting kept in the State Russian Museum at Saint Petersburg.Nikolai Petrovich Bogdanov-Belsky (Shitiki, December 6, 1868 - Berlin, February 19, 1945) was a Russian painter. He painted mostly genre paintings, especially of the education of peasant children, portraits, and impressionistic landscapes studies.     This picture reminds me of Tom Hanks movie "News of the world" where he is a news reader in the 1870s (a masterpiece of a movie) (Pic credit: Gandalf)
Catching up on that reading while the child plays. Like the colours and the composition of the picture. (Pic credit: James Beard)
Everyone is interested in the news. A picture from 1934. Berlin photos from 1920 to 1950. (Pic credit: Janwillemsen)
When it comes to children's books, the illustrations matter. The imagination of a child gets fired by the drawings in a story book and the impression lasts. (Photo credit: Jean)
The photographer from Spain has compiled this and written: (roughly translated from Spanish)  "Today I intend to honor my parents who taught me to read and learn from reading. My father's first love was reading. With Don Quixote I started reading at school. However, at home after doing the usual homework, he always had to read a few pages aloud with them. And I am grateful for that." Reminds me of the Don Quixote stories I learned in school. (Pic credit)
Can imagine the days when people had to read a book to operate the camera. A picture of the fifth edition of the book (June  1956) (Pic credit:John)
Is the girl enacting what she is reading? Does the dog see something? Is he going to jump out? There is a story developing here I suppose. (pic credit:Jon)
The sticker says it all, and the book lovers will agree with this. (pic credit)
Would like to know what happened here. Or is it just strewn around for sale? This is somewhere in Brussels (pic credit Koen Jacobs)
It has been a long time since I have seen a proper globe, and a huge one like this. By looking at the shape of Asia, one can guess how old this is. The magnificent monastery library was built between 1680 and 1689, by Carlo Antonio Carlone. It is one of the great libraries of Austria and contains about 160,000 volumes, besides 1,700 manuscripts and nearly 2,000 incunabula. (Pic credit:LitterArt)
The photographer made an observation that three people are reading at the same time. He says that this is extraordinary and is practically a disappearing image in the metros and trains. This is in Catalonia in northeastern Spain. (Pic credit: Miquel)
In my lifetime I had met only one cricket commentator and his name was Mamma. When I met him in his house at Panchgani (near Pune) what struck me was his collection of books (mostly about cricket) Here is a picture of Henry Blofeld, a retired cricket commentator at Barton's Bookshop in Leatherhead. A proud moment for him with his picture on the cover page. (Pic credit: Monica Weller FRPS)
 Designing a book cover is an art. Trying to catch the eyeballs with minimal art on the cover is the trick. Incidentally this novel by Jenny Erpenbeck is supposed to be an excellent novel on refugees in Germany. (Pic credit : Vivien)
    There is no age bar when it comes to reading. "Retired and loving it " is the title of this picture. (Pic: pensioner Percy)
Young lady trying to figure out a hand written manuscript (Pic credit: Natalia Yankelevich)
And this was clicked in Brussels street (pic credit :Natali Antonovich)
  This picture by Lou reminds me of my school days when I used to pick up the comic paper first and finish all the comic strips. In the words of the photographer : A very rare scene...two young boys sitting in the coffee shop reading the Mercury News. Kids this age normally have their noses buried in an electronic devise.There is nothing like seeing a child engrossed in a story book. Pic credit Lou Alexander
Here maybe the child is trying to explain the story to her grandfather who clicked her in action. (Pic credit: Philip Van Ootegem)
This is something all booklovers don't like to see in a book. Dogears. And it happens when readers fold the page as a bookmark. (Pic credit Yvonne Kluin)
There are so many bookmarks you can select from. As long as they are flat and do not damage the book. (Pic credit:Anna Kristenson)
Some can be funny (Pic credit: Marian Kloon)
It can be the squished rat or the giraffe or the moo moo cow.
I like this huge mural in Germany. There is also a video on how the mural was made. Pic credit: Mhobl
 So let us get to know the world by reading more books. (Pic credit: Carlo)

46 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

There used to be a fellow who would walk -- actually walk -- around town reading. I took a picture once, and I am sure that I blogged about it.

Jeanie said...

I love books and reading so much. These photos are really wonderful portraits and so evocative of the personalitiesof those featured. Lovely post.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

It is such a shame that nowadays we see so many people walking around reading their smartphones. The kind of reading you find there is clipped, brief and minimalist - no substitute for proper reading which is one of the hallmarks of civilisation. Twitter only allows 140 characters - often forcing smartphone users to make banal, undeveloped remarks.

I loved your photo collection on the theme of reading. Quite a mosaic!

Karen said...

I was born into a family of avid readers. I despair that my grandchildren don't know the joy of books. I see folks walking around with their heads down in their phones, but doubt if they are reading books or newspapers. (I was a school librarian for a good part of my working life.)

Anonymous said...

Thank you. I am a big fan of reading too. I worked in public libraries for many years before my retirement and am always interested in efforts to promote reading and literacy. I note that you are in Pune. I've been to India three times but have not yet made it to that city.
Very best wishes
Adrian

M-Hobl said...

As a constant reaader I must say: this is my world! Thank you also for showing my picture. Go on!

Elderberry-Rob said...

I am afraid reading a good book with real paper pages will become a lost pleasure - reading online/tablets/internet it's just not the same - I love the feel and smell of a new book and I lose myself in books I can hold but it's not the same for me when the book is digital/online. I love going to the Oxfam book shop in Brighton UK, it's not the books themselves - there's always something I would buy and they are second hand so don't cost much - it's the participation - the mingling with other people, touching the books, devling in to a few pages and getting a 'feel' for the written word - I think this is something I will always relish and I look forward to retiring as I can honestly tell you I have yet to read 'the classics'!!! I have a lot to catch up on.

Unknown said...

I cannot imagine a world without books, they are my mode of travel, they are my lifeline. Beautiful post.

DUTA said...

You've got enough stuff here for several posts. Books is a vast subject, and the readers of books and newspapers come from all walks of life. Children, adults, and elderly all of them could be caught reading.
By the way, I'm not sure direct daylight on books on the shelves, is desirable.

Anonymous said...

Very interesting, thanks for sharing.
Dear Joe
Reading is a passion and multi-faceted process.
It makes meaning in depth and better understanding.
I also consider this practice is a great interactive and creates dialogues within.
I too love reading and I stopped that frequency for the past 8-10 years owing to personnel reason.
Just now gain started my Tamil literatures .
Thanks Joe go on reading no stopping,
regards
Krishnamurthy Gopalan

trees said...

Fantastic collection of photographs! About reading, because of technology, more people are 'reading'. But few know the magic of books; that wonderful feeling of being able to turn pages and see a story unfold.

माधव said...

A perfect presentation of having a habit of reading. The electronic media has taken up the share. We see children grossed to the tv or mobile as parents are busy with their job. But it reminds me of those days when I used to read all kinds of books and would not know a few hours gone by. Your write up has once again taken me to the memories of how book used to be the first packing while travel......

Haddock said...

Like that Madhav, …. how book used to be the first packing while traveling 😊

Margaret D said...

One thing about reading, you can just read anywhere.
These days many people like myself read the newspaper on their phone - sometimes on my tablet but never in paper form.
Books are excellent for there are books for everyone.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for including my photo and credit. It's always annoying when you find your photos being used around the web without your permission. Interesting blog and some great photos. - Jim White

Giancarlo said...

Buon fine settimana.

Anonymous said...

After going through photographs, I just remembered my childhood study places.
Regards Madanlal Sharma

Rocío G. Tizón said...

A very good habit, indeed. I'm your follower #486. May you follow me back?
Thanks and have a nice day.

Liz A. said...

Lots of places to read.

baili said...

what a wonderful sharing my friend!

i so enjoyed so many different glimpses of people who love reading :)

my grandfather (maternal) was fond of reading though mostly religious .my father loved reading and all i can remember him sink in books and magazines ,i too love reading though present life has decreased time for it but i manage to do it to some extent and waiting for days when i will be able to dive in books like before .
tank you for kind visit and comment.
blessings!

Yasmina Rosa Wölkchen said...

Yes this is really ridiculous. They said they will pay it back, I just have to wait :D

Interesting post. I don't read that much, only some magazines with celebrities. And all 5 years a book :D

Unknown said...

The art of reading is dying down. Only people our our age or elders are at it.
Very few younger generation kids have time to read books.
Busy professionally or on cell.
Excellent reminder of good old times.

Anonymous said...

Very interesting blog Joe Chetta, I think you researched a lot. Though reading habit is great, I think nowadays the electronic world is suppressing the reading habit of people and it's fading away. Whatever developments are bringing changes in the world, we always believe the old banana talk "Old is Gold" as we can say old habits and practices are Gold. Good pics, book markings :-) Thanks for sharing - Daisy Kanattu

Corinne Rodrigues said...

These are brilliant. Thank you for sharing, Joe. Am going to share this all over.

Milind Bodas said...

Great collection!

Ygraine said...

WOW, what a fabulous post...thank you so much!😊😊
I really love reading, always have...and you would never find my anywhere without a good few books to hand!

Have a great day!

R's Rue said...

Wow. I love this post. Thank you for sharing.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

ashok said...

wonderful Post! loved going thro ur blog...

Christian Wiesner said...

@Yorkshire Pudding: You never can know what people are reading on their smartphones. Maybe it's dante aligheris divine comedy in Latin language, while others read trash literature from a book. ;-)

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

Great post and wonderful photos. I love to read, I love the books and my hubby like the newspapers. The bookmarks are so cute. I usually use my kindle ereader more often to read my books. Take care, have a happy day!

Nancy Chan said...

I can identify with the newspaper and book readers. I used to read lots of books. Since we have the internet and smartphones, we have since switched to e-newspapers and mostly depending on e-articles or e-books.

DeniseinVA said...

A wonderful post with lots of interesting photos to illustrate.

Mica said...

So many great photos here! They all capture reading in such a unique way! I like reading a lot and take the kids to the library each week so we can pick up more books too, haha! I want them to love reading as much as I do :)

Hope your week is going well :)

Away From The Blue

magiceye said...

Lovely selection of pictures!

ashok said...

wow great post on reading!

Mrs Bertimus said...

Really enjoyed reading this, thank you! I love a good book!

Anonymous said...

You have a great blog! And as a librarian, I really appreciate the sentiment. - Susan Jane Golding

Gene Perry said...

I read the local newspaper every morning. Yes, a newsPAPER. On paper, not on a screen.

Mary said...

Terrific post, both the words and photos. I've always said to any who would listen - especially children though - "one can never be lonely when you have a book to read."

Terra said...

This is a brilliant post with so many great photos and your thoughts. The Seattle Library, senior citizens and a child reading, Shakespeare and Co. in Paris (I visited it several times), I am a librarian and love reading so this post captivated me.

Becki said...

Loved looking through all the pictures of people reading books. Makes me want to go curl up with one before I hit the hay. :)

Anita Sabat said...

This post is a visual treat for book lovers!
Lovely images of books and libraries & book-lovers :)
Love to read!
The girl reading on the roof is surely in a dangerous spot. But, maybe she has her own reasons to be there.

Tempat Pengiriman Barang Terdekat said...

nice your post

Hr Advertising said...

A Freelance Photographer in Dubai, HR Advertising offers affordable corporate, Maternity, Product photography, newborn, fashion, 360 product, portrait photography services in UAE. Dubai Best Photographers team.

Visit us!
https://www.hradvertising.com/
https://www.hradvertising.com/photography/

Hr Advertising said...

Thanks for sharing such a wonderful blog.it's very useful. HR Advertising offers affordable corporate, Maternity, Product photography, newborn, fashion, 360 product, portrait photography services in UAE. Dubai Best Photographers team.. Click our website to see...

Visit us!
https://www.hradvertising.com/
https://www.hradvertising.com/photography/

priyaagrahari said...

Valuable information! I am delighted to read this article. Thank you for giving us this useful information about Photographers in Pune