Thursday, April 23, 2020

Microgreens

Decided to do Microgreen cultivation and we started off  with Moong (Green Gram) 
After following various YouTube instructions we finally got this.


The procedure was easy, especially when soil is not involved. You just tear some old news paper and make that your base in a flat basin (the bigger the better as you get enough crop for a one time use) On top put a layer of tissue paper and sprinkle the sprouted green gram. 


Keep sprinkling water on a daily basis to keep it moist. Direct sunlight is not necessary but keep it in a well lit place. 
It is nice to see the tender leaves sprouting up  


After eight to ten days it is time to harvest 


You can gently lift off the green along with the stalk and the roots. 


Some say that you can consume the roots too as there is no soil, but we chose to take only the stalk and the leaves.


Apart from it being highly nutritious, we found it to be tasty too.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

You bet. Gardening is another hobby of mine and seeing new leaves sprout gives me joy. You can never stop being fascinated - Theresa Mathews

J E Oneil said...

That is so cool! I don't know much about gardening, so I've never seen this sort of thing before. It's so neat. I want to try it :)

Vallypee said...

Ah I must start doing this too. It’s a lovely way to produce your own greens quickly and easily!

Jenny Woolf said...

This looks fun. I will try growing some myself.

Anonymous said...

Wow.... super. I think its rich in protein, vitamins and all - Kitty Kallada

माधव said...

I like the idea and will definitely do it. Great Joey.

Anvilcloud said...

This delights me for some reason.

Anonymous said...

Thank you joe for this. Will definitely try it out.
Hope you and Marie are doing well. Stay safe.
Love sheila

Sharad Kulkarni said...

Good idea.
I will try..👍🏼

Mathew said...

Cool idea, no doubt it has to be a very healthy dish..

Liz A. said...

Interesting. I had no idea that was a thing.

gigi-hawaii said...

This looks like a great source of fiber and vitamins. Way to go!

Pradeep Nair said...

Wow! This is amazing! I never knew about this.
Must try this out. Thank you.

PipeTobacco said...

My wife and I have been eating a substantial amount of moong beans in some of our recipes lately, sometimes in place of lentils (we still eat plenty of lentils too, though). We really have enjoyed the firmer texture and somewhat different flavor of moong beans. We never though of growing sprouts with them, though. How are you using the sprouts? In salads? In cooked dishes?

PipeTobacco

Sushanth said...

Hi,
Your content is amazing, I loved it a lot. We have some more tips on similar topic microgreens suppliers in hyderabad.
Cheers,
Sushanth